Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Chris's Billboard Project


Since most of you weren't able to see Chris's prints displayed on campus for his fine art class, I thought I would post the photographs from his most recent project.  A project that took a lot of time and a lot of driving around Utah and Nevada.  Chris's prints turned out great and it was neat for me to see them on display in the HFAC building.  His teacher was also very excited with his photographs and wants Chris to enter them into a contest.

Most people probably think that fine art is just landscape shots, but the art movement we are in today is called post-modernism.  One major aspect of post-modernism is agenda driven photographs/projects.  Below is Chris's artist statement....


During a recent drive home to visit my parents I saw a series of billboards that first made me laugh and then caused me to think about just where we are today as a society.  In many ways the world isn’t too much different today than it was hundreds of years ago:  As the saying goes prostitution is the oldest profession.  The difference is what we considered wrong, sinful, and immoral in the past is now held as commonplace, accepted, and in some circumstances even right by our society.

The purpose of my project is not to debate whether or not each specific topic is right or wrong.  My purpose is show the whole, to see society as it is now.  Is the world in which we now live better?  Is this progress?  What will the future be like?

In reality the actions and habits of mankind haven’t changed all that much and probably won’t in the future.  The trend is though, that as a society, what we deem immoral and wrong today could easily be defined as normal and good tomorrow.

Chris Bunker
















No comments:

Post a Comment