Friday, June 3, 2011

My Mommy Moment

I had a "mommy moment today".  The Provo library has story time outside under a big tent during the summer months....Canopy Capers.  You take your lunch, spread out your blanket and are entertained by the jokes, stories and puppet shows that the creative and very animated library storytellers put on.  Kylie loves story time at the library and was excited to go again since they haven't had it during the month of May.  Last night, I decided that we would go today and worked it out with Chris that we could have the car.  Of course it takes me a while to get us a lunch packed and get the girls into the car.  (Kylie at the last minute decided that she wanted different shoes on... and a different bow in, dumping out her entire basket of bows/clips.)  When I got in the car, I thought, "Is this even worth it?"  It took more time (and energy) to get everyone ready and out the door than we would actually spend listening at story time.  But, yes it is worth it, because we need to get out of the house when we can and the library is so much fun.  Anyway, I dropped Chris off at work and headed to the library.  Just as I was getting the girls out of the car, I realized that today is FRIDAY!  Canopy Capers is on Tuesday and Thursday!  I knew this of course, but for some reason (probably because of Memorial Day), I have been one day behind this whole week.  Well, I didn't want to waste this trip, so we checked out some books, spread our blanket under the canopy, ate lunch and read the books Kylie picked out.  It was still enjoyable, but that didn't lessen how dumb I felt.  But ten minutes after we settled down to eat our cheese and honeydew melon, another mother and her four kids spread out their blanket and their McDonald's lunches.  After a few minutes, I heard the mom say, "Oh I had the days mixed up, story time is on Thursdays and I thought today was Thursday!"  I had to chuckle to myself.  So maybe I am not so dumb after all.  At least Kylie didn't really understand my mommy mistake (like the other mom's older kids did) and she still had fun eating a picnic, reading books and running up and down the grassy hill outside the library.

Kylie has a hard time picking out just a couple books to read!  (Which is our greatest bedtime battle.)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like it was still a fun outing! Aren't libraries great? Ours has some great programs too which I'm ashamed to admit we didn't sign up for this year because I didn't know if we'd make it ever with all 5 kids. I can sympathize with the getting out of the door struggles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure I forget what day it is every single day. That sounds like an awesome library program! Ours does a little story/song time thing but it's too early for me to ever get there on time, so we usually see all the kids on their way home... Kassie has no idea what she's missing because we just can't get there, but she still loves the library and reading books so I guess I accomplished something. :)

    ReplyDelete